JELA logo blue

Remember...

Every 5 seconds a child dies of hunger.

Bread for the World

134 million children between the ages of 7 to 18 have never been to school.

Care International

1 out of every 4 deaths under the age of 5 worldwide is due to a water-related disease.

The Water Project

Our Vision

Whenever you have helped the least of these my brothers, you have helped me."

-- Matthew 25:40

Our Mission to Provide Clean Water

Clean drinking water is essential for life. Most people in the United States take such water for granted, but the same cannot be said for millions of people in Asia who still lack access to this basic nutrient.

Lutherans throughout the world have recognized that providing good water is part of the “front-line” battle against poverty and disease. Unclean water results in sickness and death. Working with partners such as Lutheran World Service and Lutheran Healthcare Bangladesh, the JELA Foundation brings safe water to communities in remote rural areas of India, Cambodia and Bangladesh.

In order to avoid water-born diseases and arsenic poisoning, tube wells must be dug 800 to 1000 feet deep. On average, it takes a team of workers one week to drill such a well. Quality tube wells are costly and JELA provides up to 80% of the funds, with the remaining 20% raised by the local community.

During the past year numerous Lutheran Sunday school classes and congregations have donated to support JELA’s mission to bring clean drinking water to poor villages in eastern India. You and your church are invited again to play an integral part in this exciting program. For as little as $800 dollars, a village can have a tube well that will provide healthy water. We invite you to join our mission to bring water and life to these people in need.

Placeholder Image